Being pure is hard. All my life, my parents had always taught me to stay pure. Even the Bible tells me so. I can tell you now that I have not succeeded to do what they say. Sin always creeps up on me and I find myself falling in. I can say that in my battle for purity for these past 20 years, I am growing slowly. Yes, slowly because it is pretty hard to live up to the standards of purity the Bible has set, even to what the world has set. It needs time, energy, commitment, and most of all focus.
The puritan movement in the time of the church has existed mainly to purify the church. But in their course of purifying the church, they have stepped upon some ground that could be wrong views. They were not just intellectually changing the view of men, but also changing the ways of men. They went too far as to make the people view God as judgmental and an angry God. Is God angry and judgmental? I don't think so, but they, the Puritans do. Far too strict to distort the truth, they kept on.
I think that some of their teachings and purification are right and somehow the church needs it. But to go beyond what the truth says is too much and may be bad. As believers who also want to purify the church from any conformation to the world, we should keep reading the Bible as we check on how we could slowly and rightly purify the church. Many times, decisions would be rash and could make the church split or cause havoc. A professor once said in class that we should initiate and innovate changes we see the church needs, but we should do it in the process and at the same time tell the leaders about it and ask guidance.
No comments:
Post a Comment